Graphics High readability Text only Cambia lingua


-2.0°C | 28.4°F

Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)


  • Need to know

    At the time of booking you must inform the airline of any animals that will be travelling with you. You should also check the current regulations concerning the transportation of animals to your country of destination (with particular regard to vaccinations and the necessary documentation). Guide dogs board the aircraft with the passenger, provided that they are wearing a muzzle and leash: in this case they are transported free of charge, but the airline must receive notification of their presence at the time of booking.

  • What are the regulations for the transportation of animals by air?

    The animal must travel in a ventilated container with a waterproof base, which is big enough to allow it to move around freely.

  • Is there a supplementary charge for travelling with an animal?

    Yes, animals are considered part of your baggage and are therefore subject to a supplementary charge based on their weight and your destination, to be paid at the airport ticket office. You can ask to be informed of the amount to be paid at the time of booking.

  • Are there limitations for the transportation of animals in the cabin?

    If the total weight, including the cage, does not exceed 10 kg, the animal is usually allowed to travel in the cabin. Otherwise it must travel in the pressurised hold. Passengers are advised to contact the airline company for more information about current regulations.

  • Can more than one animal travel in the same container?

    Yes, as long as they are of the same species. Passengers should contact the airline company for more information about animal travel regulations.

  • I am travelling with my pet: what are the current regulations?

    Specific obligations exist for the transportation of dogs, cats and rabbits within the European Union: these animals must travel with a pet passport, which shows details of vaccinations (particularly rabies shots) and a microchip number. The passport is valid for five years. It is advisable to consult the website, which contains details of the current regulations in every country.

  • I am travelling with my guide dog, what must I do?

    In this case, the passenger must present the relative medical documentation pertaining to his/her disability. The animal travels free of charge.


  • What is check-in?

    The check-in procedure involves checking the validity of the travel document (ticket or equivalent document), registering the passenger and any hold baggage on the flight and issuing the boarding card. The latter shows the expected boarding time and the gate number. When boarding, a staff member will take the boarding card, leaving the passenger with the stub that shows, when applicable, the seat number on board the aircraft. When checking-in and boarding, the passenger must present a valid identity card or passport that is good for travel to the final destination country.
    In the airport, it is possible to check-in at both the check-in desks and at the automatic self check-in terminals.

  • What time should you check-in?

    For domestic flights it is necessary to check-in at least one hour prior to the scheduled departure time. For all other flights you should arrive at least two hours before departure.

  • What is an electronic ticket?

    An electronic or e-ticket is a type of ticket that exists as a digital record in the airline’s computer system. It therefore cannot be lost or forgotten.
    After making the booking on the airline company’s website, you will be sent a confirmation e-mail containing your booking number, followed by a receipt for your reservation.
    All you have to do is go to the check-in desk at the airport with an identity document and your booking code.

  • What is web check-in?

    To all intents and purposes, the web check-in service can be compared to the traditional check-in procedure that takes place in the airport. The main difference is that the passenger carries out the operation via the Internet from the comfort of his/her own home or office. He/she can choose a seat, print the boarding card and go directly to the boarding gate 30 minutes prior to the flight departure time.
    All passengers who use the web check-in service must present a valid identity document and the printed boarding card at the security checkpoints and at the boarding gate. Passengers without a valid identity document will not be allowed to board the aircraft.


  • I am travelling with my child. What documents are necessary?

    All minors must have an individual passport.
    IMPORTANT: The registration of the child on the parent's passport is valid only until 26 June 2012. As of June 27 you can only travel in Europe and abroad with a travel document individually. For information: or Airport Police +39.011.5679711.

  • I am travelling with my child. What else should I know?

    Children under the age of 2 are not assigned a seat of their own and must sit on an adult’s lap. They benefit from a lower fare and a special baggage allowance for the free transportation of necessities (pushchair, bottle, nappies, etc.), up to a maximum of 5 kg . Children aged between 2 and 12 are given their own seat on the aircraft, but are entitled to a reduced fare and the same baggage allowance as an adult.

  • Can a child travel alone?

    Yes. The airline company must be informed at the time of booking of any children over 4 and under 12 who are travelling alone, so that a special child escort service can be provided. Airport personnel will take care of the child until boarding time, and airline staff will take care of the child on board the plane. Nevertheless, the child’s parent/guardian must remain in the airport until the aircraft has taken off.
    When the child is checked-in, he/she will be given a special “Unaccompanied Minor” pouch, which must be kept throughout the entire flight. The pouch will contain his/her flight ticket, identification documents (an identity document with photograph or, for international flights, a passport or identity card with a certificate issued by the Police that allows the bearer to leave the country), parental authorisation and an identification card that shows the name of the person who will meet the child at the destination airport.
    Children over 4 months and under 4 years may also travel alone, but it will be necessary to pay an "extra hostess" who will take care of the child during the flight.

  • Meals

    Airline companies provide special meals for children of all age groups. These meals must be requested when booking.

Lost Property

  • Lost Luggage

    If your baggage is lost or damaged, you should contact the Lost & Found office of the ground handling company employed by the airline operating your flight.
    For more information click here.

  • Real Time Tracing

    Visit the SAGAT Handling website to check the status of your missing baggage report.

  • Where should I go if I lose something?

    If you lose something in the airport you can contact: the "Tesseramento" office, sending an email to
    The office is open for information, the filing of lost property reports and the reclaiming of items, from Monday to Friday between 8.30 and 12:30.


    The service does not cover lost luggage, which is handled by the Lost & Found offices in the airport.
    For more information click here.


  • I am booked on a domestic flight. How many items of baggage can I take? What is the maximum weight allowed?

    There is no fixed rule: regulations are subject to frequent variations that depend on the airline companies and on international IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulations. Passengers are therefore advised to contact their airline company or travel agent.
    If an item of baggage exceeds the prescribed weight or size limitations, a surcharge must be paid, which varies according to the airline company and the final destination.

  • I am travelling to an international destination. How many items of baggage can I take? What is the maximum weight allowed?

    As a general rule, you are allowed to carry 20 kilos of baggage, which can be divided between two or more bags or suitcases. For the United States and Canada you can carry two bags weighing up to 32 kilos each. In any case, a single piece of luggage can weigh no more than 32 kilos.
    The following provisions are subject to frequent variations that depend on the airline companies and on international IATA regulations. Passengers are therefore advised to contact their airline company or travel agent.
    If an item of baggage exceeds the prescribed weight or size limitations, a surcharge must be paid, which varies according to the airline company.

  • And hand luggage?

    You may carry a single piece of hand luggage weighing no more than 5 kilos and with total dimensions (length, height, depth) that do not exceed 115 cm. In any case, it is advisable to contact your travel agent or airline as regulations differ from one company to another.

  • Can I carry scissors or knives in my hand luggage?

    Any sharp object that could be improperly used as a weapon should be packed in your hold baggage, otherwise it may be confiscated by the police.

  • What objects should not be carried in hand luggage?

    Your hand luggage should not contain objects that are considered a risk to flight safety, such as: toy weapons; catapults; cutlery; knives; razor blades; work tools; darts; scissors; syringes; sewing needles; clubs for sporting use and sharp objects. If you wish to travel with these objects you must pack them in your hold baggage.

  • What are the limitations for the transportation of liquid substances in hand luggage?

    The carriage of liquids and similar substances is prohibited, unless they are contained in 100 ml bottles sealed in disposable, transparent plastic bags of no more than one litre in volume, which must be presented separately from your baggage at the security checkpoints. Larger quantities of liquid must be packed in hold baggage.
    These regulations do not apply to medicines and food products (such as baby foods) and items purchased in the Duty Free shops (in the Departure areas), provided that they are sealed in bags bearing the Duty Free logo.
    It is a good idea to keep hold of your receipt as further checks may be necessary.
    For further details, read the information sheet from ENAC (the Italian Civil Aviation Authority) concerning the carriage of liquid substances in hand baggage. For more information consult the website

  • Can I take medicines on board in my hand luggage?

    Yes. The only limitations concern medicines in liquid form and syringes, which must be accompanied by a medical prescription and presented to the check-in staff who will request authorisation from the captain of the aircraft.

  • Which objects should not be stowed in the hold baggage?

    Compressed gases (flammable, non-flammable, cooled and poisonous varieties, such as butane, oxygen, propane and oxygen for aqualungs); corrosive products; explosives (e.g. fireworks, flares, munitions, pistol bullets); mercury thermometers; substances that produce flammable gases on contact with water; infectious substances (e.g. bacteria and live viruses); poisonous substances (insecticides, herbicides, arsenic and cyanide); radioactive materials; oxidising substances; magnetising substances; alarm devices.

  • Is it possible to take a laptop computer on board?

    Yes, but it must be equipped with working batteries as airport security staff may ask you to switch it on for the purpose of a security check.

  • I have an extremely bulky item of baggage. How do I get it on to the aircraft? And how do I retrieve it?

    Regulations vary according to the airline company. When you purchase your ticket, it is advisable to ask for information about how to pack the item in question and any additional costs that may be involved.
    At the time of departure, after check-in, the service staff will show you where to leave your bulky baggage items.
    On arrival, the item will not be sent to the luggage carousel, but to a special area for the retrieval of bulky pieces of baggage.

  • My hobby is hunting. What specific regulations apply to the transportation of firearms and ammunition?

    You should first go to the check-in desk, where you will be given your boarding card and a form to fill in. You must then go to the Police office, where your firearms and the relative documentation will be checked. When you have received authorisation from the Police, return to the check-in desk for the boarding procedures. Firearms and ammunition should be packed in suitable, separate containers.

  • Can photographic film be damaged by x-ray security checks?

    Passengers are advised to carry any exposed or unexposed photographic film in their hand luggage. If it is packed in the hold baggage it may be damaged by the radiation from the new equipment used for security checks.

  • My luggage was not returned to me at the destination airport. What should I do?

    Go to the Lost & Found office (found in the baggage reclaim area) before leaving the customs area. Report the loss of your luggage by completing the form that will be given to you by the staff of the Lost & Found office (commonly known as a PIR, or Property Irregular Report).
    If you have still not received your luggage five days after making the report, contact the airline company directly.

  • My luggage has been damaged. What should I do?

    Before leaving the baggage reclaim area, go to the Lost & Found office (found in the baggage reclaim area) and report the damage. You will be provided with instructions on how to claim compensation from the airline company.


    Always remember to attach a label with your full name and address to your hand luggage and hold baggage.
    Please make sure that you do not leave your baggage unattended in the airport.


  • Airport: what are the opening times?

    The terminal is open from 4.30 until the arrival/departure of the last flight of the day. The opening time may change depending on operational requirements. The Information office of the Departure lounge is open from 6 to 23: ph. +39 011.5676361-2.

  • What does overbooking mean?

    A flight is overbooked when the total number of passengers exceeds the number of available seats. If a passenger, who has arrived at the airport in due time and holds a valid ticket, is not able to fly due to overbooking by the airline company, he/she will be entitled to compensation, as established by the IATA (DBC - Denied Boarding Compensation).

  • What is the waiting list?

    The waiting list is a list of passengers who have not made a booking, and who are waiting for a seat to become available on a flight.

  • What is the finger?

    In airport speak, the “finger” is the loading bridge.

  • Customs

    Cameras, video cameras and any other items that are frequently purchased abroad must be declared to the airport customs authorities when departing for a non-EU country, to avoid the payment of customs duties on return. It is necessary to keep the receipts for any purchases made in non-EU countries in order to obtain customs duty exemption, which is granted for purchases of less than approximately 175 Euros. TAX FREE shopping is available to non-EU residents. VAT will be refunded on goods purchased in authorised shops up to a value of 154.94 Euros on presentation of the receipt when leaving the EU.
    For more information consult the website

  • Security Checks

    Passengers are requested to arrive at the airport in sufficient time to complete security procedures, such as screening and baggage checks, prior to departure. It is forbidden to take certain items on board in your hand luggage; the following are listed by way of example and by no means constitute an exhaustive list: knives, razor blades, scissors, cutlery, work tools, etc.
    Similarly, your hand luggage or checked baggage must not contain any of the following dangerous items: arms and ammunition, explosives, fireworks, compressed gasses, inflammable substances, etc. (this list is also given by way of example and is not exhaustive).
    New security regulations introduced by the European Union limit the quantity of liquids that can be carried in hand baggage through airport security checkpoints . When you have passed through the checkpoints, liquids can be purchased, taken on board the aircraft and consumed without restrictions, following the instructions of the airport staff.
    These measures concern all airports in the European Union and in Norway , Iceland and Switzerland. For more information consult the website

  • Suggestions

    It is extremely important to collaborate fully with security staff during security checks, in order to avoid inconvenience for yourself and others. Place all metallic items in the special tray and be prepared to remove your shoes if the metal detector indicates the presence of metallic parts. It may be necessary to repeat the x-ray checks several times.
    In the event of a baggage or body search, it is important to collaborate patiently for the safety of everyone.

  • Special Assistance

    The air terminal has been designed to accommodate people with special needs (disabled, ill, injured and elderly people), allowing them to take full advantage of the services provided by the airport. Facilities for special needs passengers include: lifts equipped with Braille call buttons and acoustic safety devices; special low-level areas at check-in desks for depositing luggage; baggage conveyor belts equipped with safety devices to facilitate baggage retrieval; dedicated toilet facilities throughout the airport; a tactile guidance system for visually impaired people in the main areas of the air terminal; a car park that is only 35 metres from the air terminal, with no structural barriers and 38 disabled parking places (2nd floor); the Courtesy room in the Departure hall, with a lounge, flight information monitors and service telephones; call points positioned around the car park, near to the disabled parking places, and next to every entrance to the terminal (both Arrivals and Departures). Assistance is also available for passengers with special needs, and should be requested at the time of booking (with the travel agent or airline company ). Each airline has its own regulations concerning special needs assistance, and passengers should be aware of these regulations prior to booking.
    Finally, we must mention EC Regulation n° 1107/06, introduced on 26/7/2008, which concerns the rights of persons with disabilities and reduced mobility when travelling by air.
    For more information click here.

  • Vaccinations

    At the Maritime and Air Health Office (USMA), medical staff and paramedics are on hand to provide the public with information concerning epidemics in destination countries, based on information received from the World Health Organisation and the directives issued by central government offices.
    In the same office, which is located in the northern zone of the passenger air terminal, vaccinations are provided, on appointment, against the most common infectious diseases (Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Typhoid Fever, etc.). Advice is also provided on the preventive treatments that are available before travelling to countries where there is risk of malaria.

Travel Documents

  • I am flying to a country in the European Union. What documents do I need?

    An Identity Card will suffice, and is also required for domestic flights. Check that it has not expired and is valid for foreign travel.

  • I am flying to a country that is not part of the European Union. Will an Identity Card suffice?

    You must present a valid passport. For some countries a visa is also required.
    It is important to check that your destination country does not require an entry visa.
    For information call the ACI Automobile Club of Italy on +39.06.491115 (between 8:00 and 20:00) or consult the website

  • What are the Schengen Countries?

    The following countries fully implement the Schengen agreement: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechstestein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden Switzerland, and Hungary, plus Iceland and Norway (which do not belong to the EU). Ireland and the United Kingdom did not sign the agreement.
    Cyprus, which joined the EU in 2004, and Bulgaria and Romania, who joined in 2007, do not yet fully implement the Schengen agreement. You will therefore need a passport or identity card that is valid for travel to these countries.
    A driving licence is not valid for foreign travel.

  • Is a passport obligatory for travel to the United Kingdom, Ireland?

    No, Identity Cards are also valid.


    When planning your trip, it is wise to check your passport expiry date. As a precautionary measure, you are advised to make a note of the number, date and place of issue of the document: this information could be useful in the event of loss or theft.